Friday, February 6, 2009

The Island That Met a Girl!!


I couldn't get this picture turned.....








Anticipation grew inside me as I watched the deck hands load the bags onto the Stewart Island ferry. This was it, now my journey of wwoofing would begin. Everyone loaded onto the ferry, some excited, some chatting and some with hesitation. Would I get ill? Who would out of this bunch of travelers experience the fate of so many? I had heard that with every journey across Cook Straight there are a few, if not more who unload their insides into these pleasant, unpretentious white baggies. I pleaded with myself not to be one of those unfortunate souls. Once we were all in the boat, the captain wasted no time, and we were off into the wild of the straight.

With every twang of the guitar that Stevie Ray Vaughn strummed into my ears, the ocean pushed harder against the boat. The motion of the water was pulling and pushing on my insides for what seemed an eternity. I decided to just let go and allow my body to flow as if it were an extension of the ocean itself. By allowing the waves to dictate my body positions, I was giving up all control over my direction, my path, and myself. Little would I know that this was almost a rite of passage to Stewart Island and to my journey. Letting go, allowing and being present in the moment are becoming partners of mine in this wwoofing waltz I am dancing.
The ride of the ferry was massive and wild, but the view of Stewart Island exceeded any measurable account with it's wondrous green, and lush beauty that is towered by bright blue skies and caressed by the calming , cool green tinted sea below.

I had made it. I had made it to Stewart Island, and island filled with magic and an endless supply of life.

I have been staying and working at a cafe, The Church Hill Cafe. The cafe sits upon it's thrown, looking over Half Moon Bay, we serve a delicious array of delicate and delightful food, and as of late it has been accompanied by the sweet sounds of two wwoofing musicians. Their music highlights the landscape and flows like the birds soaring against their blue sky backdrops, just as the ocean tide sways back and forth in a magnificent rhythm.
My breath is stolen from me buy a green like no other.....I am warmed by the smiles of all and with this, my time on Stewart Island begins........
Look for more pictures and when I can I will continue the story of this magical land.....
Peace and Blessings!!

2 comments:

  1. Your writing is positively poetic in this entry. What a place you are in! I can't wait to hear more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures Megan, they are so beautiful, you found paradise. Your writing is awesome and so you. I miss you so much, but know you are having a wonderful time. I am getting closer on the house, it closes on the 20th of Feb. So I will be in by March!! I have found places for your stuff.

    Have a wonderful experience and a great adventure. I love reading what you put on here, makes me smile as I think of you explaining it to me as you would in person.

    Love ya,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete